Chia seeds have been used since ages but its only these days that its gaining popularity. They are species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to South Mexico & Guatemala.
Rich in nutritional values with high amount of dietary fibre, omega 3, proteins, minerals and vitamins, these seeds are widely used these days in smoothies, breakfast cereals, energy bars, granola bars, yogurt, tortillas, breads and what not..
These seeds are hydrophilic(absorb 12 times their weight liquid when soaked) and develop a “mucilaginous” coating when soaked which gives a gel texture to it. Perhaps that is the reason many people don’t like the soaked version. I tried with a couple of toddlers and they gave me an expression that asked “what the hell was that?”
Well here is a quick chia pudding recipe with different flavour ideas! Takes almost 5 minutes to make with few ingredients and you have 5 different flavours to last for a week’s snack!!
2 cups almond milk
3 tbspn chia seeds
1 scoop of yogurt
1 tspn vanilla beans or extract
Mix chia seeds and almond milk in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for atleast 3-4 hours or overnight is best.
Once the seeds have absorbed enough milk, remove from fridge, add vanilla and allow to set at room temperature.
Add a scoop of yogurt, a spoonful of chia seeds and toppings of your choice.
- Blueberry and almond: add fresh bluberries, flaked almonds and stir
- Matcha: stir in 2 tspns of matcha powder
- Strawberry cheesecake: chopped fresh strawberries and 1 tbspn creamcheese
- Raspberry delight: add fresh raspberries and some white chocolate chips
- Apple, honey and cinnamon: add grated apple, honey and sprinkle some cinnamon
- Fruit and nut delight: take a bowl. Add a generous scoop of yogurt in the centre. Pour over chia seeds, about 2-3 scoops. Add chopped fresh fruits of your choice, some nuts(i add raisins, almonds, pine nuts, chopped macadamia) and drizzle some honey
The above options are suggestions only. You can add any fruits, nuts or toppings of your choice and create a bowl of your own.
If almond milk is not available, regular fullcream milk is fine too or any milk of your convenience